Thursday, July 24, 2008

Yesterday and today

Hello,

Yesterday (July 23), Sam, Alice, and their nine-month-old Timothy came over to the house for dinner. Sam works for FOCUS and Alice is a textile designer. It was a really wonderful evening. Timothy and I played (surprise, surprise) with a teddy bear and blocks. Alice brought over her sketch and design books from college; she is an incredibly talented artist.

Today was a very productive day for my BA thesis. I worked on most of the internet things that I needed to do before heading out to start interviewing. Mainly, I googled the organizations that I learned about at the conference last week. Then Jenny (the very first missionary I met at Kampala Baptist Church) helped me find them all on the map and figure out how to get there via public, as it’s called.

I also walked to UNAD today, but no one was really there. So I borrowed the enormous USL dictionary they have there (different from the one that was mailed to me) and went on my way. I ended up taking a 2 hour walk, circling the entire neighborhood I live in (Kololo). It was great because I passed by NGOs that are applicable to my research that I had never heard of. There are a ridiculous number of NGOs in Kampala. I won’t have time to visit all of the NGOs specifically for disabled people; there are just too many. But I will make it to the important ones.

I am going to go to sleep early. I was woken up this morning by two girls, Hannah and Abbie, that are six(?) and two years old (there are three more kids in the family, all under the age of nine). Their mother stopped by to talk to Cindy, and she told me that her husband has a contact at a deaf school and he has already agreed to meet with me. So that will be good.

Goodnight. Thanks for all of the continued support via e-mails, facebook, blogs, etc. You can’t imagine what a difference it makes.

Sarah

No comments: