Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Lazy Tuesday

Hello,

Today was a very, very low-key day because my stomach was acting up. It was inevitable. But I am fine, I just needed to stay where I knew there was a bathroom. Nothing unique to Africa. So I just read a novel and told myself that soon I would work on my research. So it’s 10:30 pm and I should get started any minute now.

I did take a walk today to go to an atm. In Uganda, if you can afford it, you have to hire a house lady. It is considered giving back to the community. So Deborah did my laundry; she washes the clothes, hangs them to dry outside, and then irons them thoroughly to kill the things that got on the clothes while they were drying. So I went to get money to pay Deborah. And on that walk I took some picture of where I am staying and the surrounding streets. Cindy and John (and I) live on the left side of the house (when you are facing it, like in the picture below). The large window on the second floor is my room. I just realized that it is covered by the tree in the picture. Oh well.

Goodnight.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw an interesting article in yesterday's USA Today about volunteer efforts and hopes for Africa. Uganda is only mentioned once - but I thought it would still be of general interest to you and your readers. It's at: http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-07-21-rwanda_N.htm

Hope you're feeling better today. Love, Dad