Saturday, July 26, 2008

Hope Alive!

Hello,

Today I went to the Hope Alive! Saturday club. Hope Alive! is a sponsorship program for Ugandan kids living in poor neighborhoods, which seem to be called slums here. They feed, clothe, and pay the education fees for these children. The Saturday program is breakfast, playing, Bible study, a mini class, and lunch. I spent pretty much the whole time observing and taking pictures. As I have said before, nothing makes me happier than taking pictures of children, especially when they are playing outside in the sunlight. I plan on going back to help out for the rest of my Saturdays here.





I have finally learned more about the Ugandan food I have been eating. Check out the picture I took of my plate. At the very top of the plate is shredded cabbage. Then, going clockwise, is rice covered in g-nut sauce. This is a peanut sauce (they are called ground nuts here), that actually looks much more lavender in real life. Next are beans. Then a piece of Irish potato (there is one other type of potato in Uganda but I don’t know what it’s called and Irish is definitely better), and finally posho (which kinda blends in with the cabbage). Posho is made from cassava and has absolutely no taste whatsoever. You have to mix it with the other food on your plate. All of the Ugandan children eat all of the food on the plates with their hands. My portion was actually a bit smaller than what is given to the children (I was given a “muzungo portion”) because a lot of these kids will only eat the breakfast and lunched provided on Saturdays.

Tune in tomorrow to hear about the restaurant I am going to after church. I have been hearing about this place since the day I got here…but you’ll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what it is!

Sarah

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So much progress you are making, it's exciting!
You were in my dreams again last night, but I wasn't visiting you in Africa this time. I think we were looking at each others' apartments.
Keep going!