Sunday, July 27, 2008

Most Welcome

Here is the moment you have all been waiting for…today’s restaurant was I Love New York Kitchen! I am totally serious. It is a restaurant that serves pizza, bagels, milkshakes, burgers, and everything else American. It is on the ground floor of the parking garage at the mall, Garden City. It has outdoor seating, which means you are sitting in the parking garage. I went with a big group of people. First the family, parents: Brian and Renee, kids: Julianne, Hannah, Abby, Emily, and Christian. Then three other people approximately my age, Kate (in the middle in the photo below), Jenny (on the right), and GJ (he took the picture). Kate leaves tomorrow morning after being in Uganda for 8 months, so we took her back to her apartment to say bye and take all of her remaining American candy sent from home. I got gummy worms and a Symphony bar.




Church was also good this morning. We sang one Happening song (I will call upon the Lord) which was a nice reminder of home. A remarkable number of people there remembered my name, but since Ugandans speak softly out of respect, I never learned their names in the first place. Ugandans are incredibly welcoming though; they always, always say “You are most welcome” especially the first few times you visit. Brian preached; the sermon was an hour long. I am not joking. And we were so squished in the pews that a Ugandan girl was practically on my lap. So I only heard about half of the sermon.

Tonight consists of leftover soup and working on my research. Any company online would be greatly appreciated.

Sarah

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah! My would-be post just got erased, and I am sad. I have been without a computer for one or two weeks, and it will still be another two or three weeks before I get a new one. I'm going home for a week soon and it's creating difficulties as far as timing shipping. Otherwise, I would write more, obviously.

Glad to hear that you are being well taken care of, and that you have access to American food for when cabbage and beans become overwhelming. Milkshakes are extremely important to me. It sounds like you're having a lot of fun, and I am so impressed with how well you are handling all the unknowns are and able to make it up as you go along. Your first post somewhat terrified me. You are far braver than I am. Take care!

-Sam Z