Monday, August 11, 2008

Photos!

Hello,

Here are the pictures from the past week or so. We drove over the equator on the trip to Masaka!
I think this is a really interesting sign. It is in Luganda (I think), but an English version is in Kampala that says "Would you let this man be with your daughter? Then why are you with his? Cross-generational sex stops here." I learned from a seminar I attended last spring that this is a serious issue in East Africa that contributes to the spread of AIDS.
This is a roadside stand selling fruit and baskets on the road to Masaka.
These are kids on a field trip to the Uganda Wildlife Education Centre in Entebbe playing with one of the monkeys that run loose.
This is the national bird of Uganda, the Crested Crane.
A couple of students visiting the wildlife center.
Children came up to me to shake my hand all the time. In the picture, you can only see some of the group gathered around me.
This is a picture of the group I went to Entebbe with standing in front of Lake Victoria. John and Cindy (who I live with) are on the left, and I am between Alice and Sam, who are their friends from Focus.
I hope you enjoyed these pictures. It took more than an hour to upload them! I miss everyone at home, but I am over halfway done! I am getting used to being here though, and everyday is a bit easier.

Sarah

2 comments:

Steve said...

Jonah and I just looked at the photos and we loved them. When looked at the firpst couple of Sarah-free pictures, Jonah said: "But where's Rah-rah?" Then we came to the pictures of you and he was so happy to see you. I said I was going to write and Jonah said: "Tell her happy birthday." I said, "what if it isn't her birthday?" He said: "Tell her hi." So hi from Jonah. One more thing. The photo of you with the kids at the wilderness center is so cute. Jonah said: "why are those kids looking at Rah-rah?" I said, "because they don't see many white people." Jonah pointed at one of the kids in a white shirt and said: "But he's white." I was so happy to get this glimpse into his world, where everyone is the same. Yeah Jonah! - Steve

Steve said...

Sorry about some of the typos in that last comment. Jonah was jumping up and down on my tummy while I typed it. It's a new Olympic sport.