Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Nile

Hello,

It has been a busy week, and next week will probably be even busier. Here are some highlights.

Tuesday, August 12 was one of the BEST days I’ve had in Uganda. Maybe in my whole life. I rode a boat on the Nile. I saw where Lake Victoria ends and the Nile begins. This is a lifetime dream come true. We also went to Bujagali Falls, which is absolutely beautiful...but really are more just rapids on the Nile.

I went with a short-term mission team visiting Uganda to work with Hope Alive. They had a couple extra seats so they brought me, Jenny, GJ, and two Ugandans that work for Hope Alive, Lonnah and Robert. We had the best time taking a ridiculous number of pictures. Here is a picture of Lonnah, me, and Jenny in the boat on the Nile. That man in the picture below is pointing to the source of the Nile, where Lake Victoria ends and the Nile begins.



Wednesday, August 13, I returned to the Ntinda School for the Deaf. The deputy to the headmistress (who I interviewed last week) gave me a tour and I took pictures. I am going to send them the pictures when I get home, and they are going to sell them as a fundraiser. I am happy that I can help in some way. I also interviewed a deaf teacher there. She did not seem thrilled to be answering my questions, but it was short and really helpful to me. Here is a picture of the children clapping in a classroom.

Thursday, August 14, I went with Renee and the female members of the short term mission team to a small fabric market. I bought fabric to have two outfits made, which is really the only way to get Ugandan clothes here, all the rest are imported from other continents. For dinner, we went to a really nice Thai restaurant in honor of the short term mission team’s last night in Uganda. Below is a picture of Christian and me swinging at the Thai restaurant.

Friday, August 15, I went into town to order outfits from a tailor. On a recommendation, I went to see Harriet, who is a member of Kampala Baptist Church. She is making me one dress and one outfit (both blouse and skirt). I am really excited. I go back in a week and a half for a fitting.

Saturday, August 16, was a special day at Hope Alive because it was a “Fun Day” (we played games the whole time) and because it was GJ and Jenny’s last Saturday Club before returning home (to the Netherlands and Colorado, respectively). Jenny and I took hundreds of pictures, so a pretty typical day for me. Here is a picture of me and Jenny trying sugarcane for the first time. It is a lot of work to eat.

Today (Sunday, August 17) consisted of a church service at Lugogo Baptist, a walk with Jenny to the Kamwokya market, and a goodbye dinner for GJ at the mall. I will post pictures from the walk in Kamwokya later in the week.

Tomorrow, I am heading to UNAD to watch a rehearsal of the Deaf Silent Theatre Company, and then I am babysitting the Davis kids, so I probably won’t be online until Tuesday.

Goodnight.

Sarah

1 comment:

Unknown said...

seeing the origin of the nile is pretty cool.
glad to see you're so busy that you can't update your blog very often, although also not glad because i want you to update your blog often.